Employers and employees should completely understand all provisions of the said laws because absence of complete comprehension may lead to unwarranted misapprehensions.
The following are the important things to know about the employment discrimination law that counters discrimination among employees:
- The workplace has to be conducive for work at all times. It must be free from any form of harassment by employers or by any member of the company. Such harassment includes sexual harassment, hostile workplace environment, and the like.
- Exclusion of the policy that limits the use of a foreign language at work except if the work demands it largely. It means that an employee from a different country is allowed to speak in his or her native language until the job requires the use of English to facilitate work or services.
- The discriminated employees should be compensated for the damages caused them; therefore, guilty employers will be charged. Reinstatement, back pay, and attorney’s fee are required by this law.
- Employers are obligated to comply with the employee’s needs when it comes to taking care of the disabled. This is the same with establishing an accessible workplace environment which includes ramps, desks, and special chairs. Such act is expected to assist the employee perform better in his or her work.
- Prevention of rejecting an applicant through various forms of discrimination. This means that the selection of employees must not be based on color or race, but instead, on his or her good points and qualifications.
- Employers are expected to permit their employees to avail of either medical or maternity leave for not less than four months as their respective cases require.
- Employers must not retaliate against a complaint or a future complaint by any employee.